I made a mistake in handling Singur: WB CM
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Friday said he had made a mistake by
relying on the "sense of responsibility" of opposition
parties while dealing with the Singur issue.
He said as he does not believe in using force against
demonstrations, he stayed away from using it when opposition
parties were agitating against the setting up of Tata Motors`
small car factory in Singur.
"I relied on the opposition parties` sense of
responsibility as I believe force is not the solution in a
democratic system. But they not only disrespected my faith in
them, but they didn`t see the interest of the state,"
Bhattacharjee told an interactive session with intellectuals
Asserting this would never happen again, Bhattacharjee
said, "In the post-Singur period we have acquired 8000 acres
of land in areas like Andal and Panagarh and we have done it
taking along farmers with us."
He contested the suggestion that investors had turned
away from West Bengal, saying in 2010 alone, investment worth
Rs 15,000 crore had been made in areas like Salboni, Panagarh
Bhattacharjee accused the opposition parties of being
fascist and said they were making tall promises and imitating
slogans of Left parties only to baffle the people.
Describing this election as a battle of ideology, the
chief minister said, "The election is not about just winning
or losing it. It is a matter of keeping away the fascist
forces from the state. Therefore, the opposition parties
should never be voted to power."
Criticising the print and electronic media for predicting
Left Front`s prospects, Bhattacharjee said, "We don`t pay any
heed to all these things because people will say the last word
and what they have in mind no one knows."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice