I will hiss, if I can`t bite: Mamata
Kolkata: "I can always hiss if I can`t bite," this was Trinamool Congress Mamata Banerjee`s remark after her six ministers quit the UPA government on FDI and other `people` related issues.
Banerjee was referring to a folklore on Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa, the spiritual guru of Swami Vivekenanda.
Ramakrishna is believed to have advised a cobra, whom he had told not to bite people, that it could frighten away people by hissing.
"I can always hiss if can`t bite. If the people`s rights are endangered we will hiss. We can bow our heads to Ma, Mati, Manush, but not to the arrogance of power," she said at a state government water project at Tallah Park here.
The Chief Minister, said "When we are shouted, the louder will be our protest. We roar when intimidated. This is our pride.
"We may be poor, but we have dignity. People are the main assets of democracy. What Bengal thinks today, the world thinks tomorrow," Banerjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui