IJA criticises Katju`s observations on scribes
Kolkata: The Indian Journalists` Association
on Wednesday criticised Press Council chairman Markandey Katju for
his comments on the intellectual capacity of journalists and
urged the Centre to ignore such "ill-conceived" views.
In a statement here, IJA general secretary Mrinal Biswas
and former Press Council member Mihir Ganguly said that
Katju`s recent observations on the scribes "had crossed the
limit of the jurisdiction set in the Act".
Demanding that Katju express regret for "casting
aspersions on the media", it said, "IJA urges the government
to ignore the ill-conceive views of the PCI chairman."
Alleging that Katju`s observations were "dangerous and
his efforts to impress upon the government to impose some
restrictions on the Press are totally unacceptable to the
journalists", the statement said scribes were competent enough
to take care of any weaknesses in media functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III