IJA criticises Katju`s observations on scribes
Kolkata: The Indian Journalists` Association
on Wednesday criticised Press Council chairman Markandey Katju for
his comments on the intellectual capacity of journalists and
urged the Centre to ignore such "ill-conceived" views.
In a statement here, IJA general secretary Mrinal Biswas
and former Press Council member Mihir Ganguly said that
Katju`s recent observations on the scribes "had crossed the
limit of the jurisdiction set in the Act".
Demanding that Katju express regret for "casting
aspersions on the media", it said, "IJA urges the government
to ignore the ill-conceive views of the PCI chairman."
Alleging that Katju`s observations were "dangerous and
his efforts to impress upon the government to impose some
restrictions on the Press are totally unacceptable to the
journalists", the statement said scribes were competent enough
to take care of any weaknesses in media functions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'