Illegal B’desh immigrants, a big problem: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday delay in
identification of nationality of illegal immigrants by
Bangladesh is causing problems in deportation from India.
"Delay in identification of nationality of illegal
immigrants by Bangladesh High Commission is causing delay in
deportation of illegal immigrants," Minister of State for Home
Mullappally Ramachandran said in the Rajya Sabha.
He said the government has taken up the issue with the
Nearly 1.35 lakh people from Bangladesh without valid visa
were intercepted since 2001 to June 30 this year, he said,
replying to a debate on a private member`s bill moved by
Shiv Sena leader Manohar Joshi.
The minister said illegal immigrants from Bangladesh are a
"big problem" and government is taking steps to deal with the
Ramachandran said after issuance of UID (unique
identification card) the country would be able to check
He said the existing laws to tackle the problem are
adequate. The Centre has asked the state government to
implement these laws to check the problem, he added.
Earlier, Joshi alleged that illegal immigrants are
providing weapons to terrorists carrying out attacks in
Ravishankar Prasad (BJP) said illegal immigration from
Bangladesh is a threat to security, sanctity and defence of
the country and should be stopped immediately.
After the assurance given by the Minister, Joshi withdrew
the bill which sought to create a national commission for
identification and deportation of illegal immigrants in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH