Illegal B’desh immigrants, a big problem: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday delay in
identification of nationality of illegal immigrants by
Bangladesh is causing problems in deportation from India.
"Delay in identification of nationality of illegal
immigrants by Bangladesh High Commission is causing delay in
deportation of illegal immigrants," Minister of State for Home
Mullappally Ramachandran said in the Rajya Sabha.
He said the government has taken up the issue with the
Nearly 1.35 lakh people from Bangladesh without valid visa
were intercepted since 2001 to June 30 this year, he said,
replying to a debate on a private member`s bill moved by
Shiv Sena leader Manohar Joshi.
The minister said illegal immigrants from Bangladesh are a
"big problem" and government is taking steps to deal with the
Ramachandran said after issuance of UID (unique
identification card) the country would be able to check
He said the existing laws to tackle the problem are
adequate. The Centre has asked the state government to
implement these laws to check the problem, he added.
Earlier, Joshi alleged that illegal immigrants are
providing weapons to terrorists carrying out attacks in
Ravishankar Prasad (BJP) said illegal immigration from
Bangladesh is a threat to security, sanctity and defence of
the country and should be stopped immediately.
After the assurance given by the Minister, Joshi withdrew
the bill which sought to create a national commission for
identification and deportation of illegal immigrants in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security