Illicit liquor trade enjoyed political patronage
Diamond Harbour (WB): It took nearly 143 lives to make the administration wake up to the fact that an illegal liquor trade was flourishing under the patronage of police and local political bosses in different areas of South 24 Parganas district.
The illegal liquor, known in local parlance as `chullu`, is manufactured mainly at Gocharan, about 40 km from Kolkata, and distributed through an efficient supply chain in different parts of South 24 Parganas district.
"The liquor is manufactured at distilleries located in different areas of Gocharan and then goes to different parts of the area," Bablu Naskar, whose brother Sanyasi is undergoing treatment at M R Bangur government hospital said.
It is one of these supplies that go to selling spots in village markets that went horribly wrong due to mixing of some chemical and claimed so many lives in different villages in Mograhat area.
It is a common practice that chemicals like methyl alcohol are mixed with the distilled liquor that is obtained by fermenting molasses to give an instant high to poor villagers who cannot afford good alcohol.
A plastic pouch pack of about 500 ml costs Rs 20 and the villagers who come from different vocations range from landless labourers to workers in sundry factories to vegetable sellers.
Most of these people live in huts or tenements in villages surrounded by vegetable farms. They can barely make ends meet with what they earn and with not many avenues for entertainment, they easily fall prey to the lure of cheap liquor, little knowing that this could be deadly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi
- Radical changes! Two-division Tests and One-Day League on ICC agenda
- Pampore encounter: Mufti, Nirmal Singh attend wreath laying ceremony