Impossible for TMC to win alone: Congress
New Delhi: Congress MP from West Bengal, Deepa Dasmunshi has taken a jibe at the Trinamool Congress, saying it would be impossible for the latter to win without Congress support.
The remarks came a day after the TMC, a key ally of the UPA government, indicated that it may not go for an alliance with the Congress in West Bengal in the next Lok Sabha elections.
"We are planning to win all 42 seats (in West Bengal). We want to see that under Mamata Banerjee`s leadership 42 MPs remain in our command," TMC leader Sudeep Bandopadhaya told reporters.
Bandopadhayato today said state panchayat polls would decide if the TMC will go alone in 2014 General Elections.
In the coming years, smaller parties would play a critical role, he added.
Congress and TMC had fought the last Lok Sabha elections in 2009 together. The alliance between the two parties continued during the state Assembly Elections in 2010.
There was a thaw in Congress-TMC relations at the Centre after West Bengal Chief Minister and party supremo Mamata Banerjee decided that her party will vote for UPA`s Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
However, the TMC`s relations with the Congress at the state level continued to remain strained with leaders of both parties often attacking each other.
TMC is also supporting the second term for Hamid Ansari as Vice President and some party MPs participated the lunch hosted by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Oops! Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah gets kissed by woman in public — Watch video
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes