Incidents of rape were higher during LF regime: Mamata
Kolkata: In the face of Opposition criticism on rising cases of rape in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said such incidents were higher during the previous Left Front regime.
"Even a single case of rape is bad. According to (National) Crime Records Bureau, as per the complaints registered, there were 2336 cases of rape in 2009, 2311 cases in 2010, 2363 cases in 2011, 2046 cases in 2012 and 1590 in 2013," Banerjee said while replying to the debate on the Governor`s Address in the Assembly.
Quoting statistics of 2012, she said according to complaints registered, there were 585 rape cases in Delhi, 232 in Mumbai, 94 in Chennai, 90 in Bangalore and 68 in Kolkata.
Before her government came to power in 2011, she said, FIRs were not allowed to be filed in police stations.
Her government, she said, was for strong and prompt action against perpetrators. "We want that culprits should be charge sheeted in three months in fast track courts.
"Even if there is a single case of rape it is bad and we are for strong action against the perpetrators," she said, recounting that 65 all-women police stations were being set up to deal with crimes against women.
Banerjee said, "We need the co-operation of all to curb these incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read