Indefinite bandh called off in Terai-Dooars
Jalpaiguri: An indefinite bandh in the Terai-Dooars region called by a Gorkha Janmukti Morcha-backed committee was called off on Thursday at the request of the West Bengal government, GJM president Bimal Gurung said.
"Considering the situation in the region, the problems faced by the people during bandh and the request of the state government and the district administration, we are postponing the bandh for the time being," he said.
However, Gurung warned that if the administration did not allow them to hold public meetings in Terai Dooars region to press for their demand of inclusion of 396 moozas in the GTA, then they would again call for a strike.
"If that demand is not met, then we will again go back to our demand for Gorkhaland," he said.
The indefinite bandh called from Monday by the Terai Dooars Coordination Committee, also backed by the John Barla faction of the Adivasi Vikash Parishad, had witnessed widespread violence and also in the Terai-Dooars region of Jalpaiguri district.
The bandh was relaxed for 48 hours till today.
Gurung today addressed a public meeting at Dalsinghpara in Kalchini block in the district amid tight security, official sources said.
District Magistrate Smarki Mohapatra, however, said no official permission had been given for the meeting.
Gurung addressed the gathering in Nepali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'