Infant deaths: TMC leader sees `conspiracy`
New Delhi: Amid outrage over infant deaths
in West Bengal, senior Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Sudip Bandyopadhyay on Monday alleged that there is a conspiracy to blow
out of proportion some of these cases in the state.
"Some deliberate campaign is very much being carried out
that Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in Bengal is gradually
growing high. But the report I have, reflects that all India
average of infant mortality is 47, whereas in West Bengal it
is 31," Bandyopadhyay, who is the Minister of State for
Health, told reporters here.
On being asked who is behind this "conspiracy", the
Minister said, "I am not particularly mentioning any name or
identity. What I feel is, certainly some conspiracy is being
hatched, otherwise why this issue is being projected in
a very systematic manner."
TMC-ruled West Bengal recently saw a number of infant
deaths in its hospitals. Most of the cases reportedly took
place because of poor infrastructure in the hospitals and
negligence of staff there.
Blaming the Left Front and CPM which ruled the state for
last 34 years behind its crumbling health infrastructure, he
said seven months of TMC rule is not enough to improve the
"Since last 34 years when the Left Front and CPM ruled
the state, the total infrastructure in the hospitals had
collapsed. From top to bottom it was a mess. So six months or
seven months time is not enough for a government (to improve
the situation)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray