Infant deaths: TMC leader sees `conspiracy`
New Delhi: Amid outrage over infant deaths
in West Bengal, senior Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Sudip Bandyopadhyay on Monday alleged that there is a conspiracy to blow
out of proportion some of these cases in the state.
"Some deliberate campaign is very much being carried out
that Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in Bengal is gradually
growing high. But the report I have, reflects that all India
average of infant mortality is 47, whereas in West Bengal it
is 31," Bandyopadhyay, who is the Minister of State for
Health, told reporters here.
On being asked who is behind this "conspiracy", the
Minister said, "I am not particularly mentioning any name or
identity. What I feel is, certainly some conspiracy is being
hatched, otherwise why this issue is being projected in
a very systematic manner."
TMC-ruled West Bengal recently saw a number of infant
deaths in its hospitals. Most of the cases reportedly took
place because of poor infrastructure in the hospitals and
negligence of staff there.
Blaming the Left Front and CPM which ruled the state for
last 34 years behind its crumbling health infrastructure, he
said seven months of TMC rule is not enough to improve the
"Since last 34 years when the Left Front and CPM ruled
the state, the total infrastructure in the hospitals had
collapsed. From top to bottom it was a mess. So six months or
seven months time is not enough for a government (to improve
the situation)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis