Injured GJM man`s death sparks arson, shutdown in hill pockets
Darjeeling (WB): A Gorkha Janmukti Morcha
(GJM) supporter, injured in last Sunday`s clash between morcha
and GNLF at Sonada in Darjeeling Hills, died today sparking
arson and shutdown in parts of the area.
Police sources said as the news of the death of Rabin
Rai, injured in the clash, at a Siliguri hospital reached the
hills, Morcha supporters ransacked houses of GNLF (Gorkha
National Liberation Front) supporters and forced traders to
shut down establishments at Sonada and Kurseong.
A bandh-like atmosphere prevailed in these two pockets
of hills with only tourists allowed passage, the sources said.
Rai and three others were injured when two groups
clashed with `khukris` at Ringtong tea estate near Sonada.
The clash began as some people returning from a
victory celebration were attacked with stones and weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply