Injured GJM man`s death sparks arson, shutdown in hill pockets
Darjeeling (WB): A Gorkha Janmukti Morcha
(GJM) supporter, injured in last Sunday`s clash between morcha
and GNLF at Sonada in Darjeeling Hills, died today sparking
arson and shutdown in parts of the area.
Police sources said as the news of the death of Rabin
Rai, injured in the clash, at a Siliguri hospital reached the
hills, Morcha supporters ransacked houses of GNLF (Gorkha
National Liberation Front) supporters and forced traders to
shut down establishments at Sonada and Kurseong.
A bandh-like atmosphere prevailed in these two pockets
of hills with only tourists allowed passage, the sources said.
Rai and three others were injured when two groups
clashed with `khukris` at Ringtong tea estate near Sonada.
The clash began as some people returning from a
victory celebration were attacked with stones and weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3