Injured GJM man`s death sparks arson, shutdown in hill pockets
Darjeeling (WB): A Gorkha Janmukti Morcha
(GJM) supporter, injured in last Sunday`s clash between morcha
and GNLF at Sonada in Darjeeling Hills, died today sparking
arson and shutdown in parts of the area.
Police sources said as the news of the death of Rabin
Rai, injured in the clash, at a Siliguri hospital reached the
hills, Morcha supporters ransacked houses of GNLF (Gorkha
National Liberation Front) supporters and forced traders to
shut down establishments at Sonada and Kurseong.
A bandh-like atmosphere prevailed in these two pockets
of hills with only tourists allowed passage, the sources said.
Rai and three others were injured when two groups
clashed with `khukris` at Ringtong tea estate near Sonada.
The clash began as some people returning from a
victory celebration were attacked with stones and weapons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical