Interim set-up in Darjeeling to be set up before WB polls
New Delhi: In a bid to resolve the issue
regarding demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland, the
Government is likely to put in place an interim Regional
Authority for the Gorkhas in Darjeeling ahead of next year`s
assembly polls in West Bengal.
Top Government sources said the Central and West Bengal
governments were working on the subjects and departments which
are expected to be handed over to the interim authority.
Representatives of the Centre, West Bengal government and
the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha today discussed the modalities on
how to carry forward the dialogue process on the demands of
"There has been near consensus on the 22 subjects and 54
departments that would be handed over to the authority by the
state government," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told
reporters here after the meeting.
However, Giri admitted that there was no consensus in the
meeting on the issues of territorial jurisdiction of the
authority, electioneering process and the proposed
Another round of talks will take place on September 7.
The term of the current West Bengal Assembly ends on May
Giri said the GJM delegation said at the meeting that the
situation in Darjeeling hills was peaceful as promised by them
and it was now the duty of the government to fulfil the
demands of the GJM.
Sources said both the Central and the state governments
were for limiting the proposed Darjeeling Regional Authority
to just the hill sub-divisions of Darjeeling, Kurseong and
Since its inception in 2007, the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha,
has been demanding a separate Gorkhaland state that includes
the Siliguri subdivision of Darjeeling district in the plains
and contiguous areas in neighbouring Jalpaiguri district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Volkswagen agrees to $14.7 billion payout in US emissions probe
- Surprising! Kumar Sangakkara picks Rahul Dravid over Sachin Tendulkar in his All-Time XI
- Travel diaries: Bipasha Basu, hubby Karan Singh Grover are now holidaying in Barcelona
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin files petition in Bihar court, claims threat to his life from state govt
- Wimbledon: Serena Williams enters second round ousts Amra Sadikovic