Investigation into death of SFI leader underway
Kolkata: With preliminary reports indicating that the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta was due to head injury, the police on Thursday urged the media not to jump to a conclusion as investigations were underway.
"Our appeal to the media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the incident is being projected is not right. We have launched a thorough investigation and the forensic team has visited the spot," Joint Commissioner of Police (Hqs) Javed Shamim said.
Asked whether Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s statement that Gupta died after being hit by a lamp post would affect the investigation, Shamim said, "Why should it? I on the basis of the primary report had said the same thing."
Stating that with the launch of the investigation all aspects would be looked into, Shamim said that the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to head injury after being hit by a blunt object.
Gupta had died on April 2 after falling off a police requisitioned bus in which he was being taken after his arrest following a rally to protest delay in holding student union elections.
The CPI(M) had alleged that Gupta died as a result of injuries from a police lathi-charge and demanded a judicial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS