Investigation into death of SFI leader underway
Kolkata: With preliminary reports indicating that the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta was due to head injury, the police on Thursday urged the media not to jump to a conclusion as investigations were underway.
"Our appeal to the media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the incident is being projected is not right. We have launched a thorough investigation and the forensic team has visited the spot," Joint Commissioner of Police (Hqs) Javed Shamim said.
Asked whether Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s statement that Gupta died after being hit by a lamp post would affect the investigation, Shamim said, "Why should it? I on the basis of the primary report had said the same thing."
Stating that with the launch of the investigation all aspects would be looked into, Shamim said that the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to head injury after being hit by a blunt object.
Gupta had died on April 2 after falling off a police requisitioned bus in which he was being taken after his arrest following a rally to protest delay in holding student union elections.
The CPI(M) had alleged that Gupta died as a result of injuries from a police lathi-charge and demanded a judicial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried