Investigation into death of SFI leader underway
Kolkata: With preliminary reports indicating that the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta was due to head injury, the police on Thursday urged the media not to jump to a conclusion as investigations were underway.
"Our appeal to the media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the incident is being projected is not right. We have launched a thorough investigation and the forensic team has visited the spot," Joint Commissioner of Police (Hqs) Javed Shamim said.
Asked whether Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s statement that Gupta died after being hit by a lamp post would affect the investigation, Shamim said, "Why should it? I on the basis of the primary report had said the same thing."
Stating that with the launch of the investigation all aspects would be looked into, Shamim said that the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to head injury after being hit by a blunt object.
Gupta had died on April 2 after falling off a police requisitioned bus in which he was being taken after his arrest following a rally to protest delay in holding student union elections.
The CPI(M) had alleged that Gupta died as a result of injuries from a police lathi-charge and demanded a judicial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown