Investigation into death of SFI leader underway
Kolkata: With preliminary reports indicating that the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta was due to head injury, the police on Thursday urged the media not to jump to a conclusion as investigations were underway.
"Our appeal to the media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the incident is being projected is not right. We have launched a thorough investigation and the forensic team has visited the spot," Joint Commissioner of Police (Hqs) Javed Shamim said.
Asked whether Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s statement that Gupta died after being hit by a lamp post would affect the investigation, Shamim said, "Why should it? I on the basis of the primary report had said the same thing."
Stating that with the launch of the investigation all aspects would be looked into, Shamim said that the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to head injury after being hit by a blunt object.
Gupta had died on April 2 after falling off a police requisitioned bus in which he was being taken after his arrest following a rally to protest delay in holding student union elections.
The CPI(M) had alleged that Gupta died as a result of injuries from a police lathi-charge and demanded a judicial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?