IPS Damayanti Sen transferred again, now Darjeeling DIG
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Friday named Kolkata`s former Joint Police Commissioner (crime) Damayanti Sen -- transferred after she cracked the Park Street rape case -- as the new Deputy Inspector General of Darjeeling range.
The appointment comes on the eve of shutdown call by pro-Gorkhaland Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) in the Darjeeling hills.
The post was lying vacant for some time and Sen`s appointment comes at a time when the GJM has revived its demand for a separate state in the north Bengal hills, which has seen repeated unrest since the 1980s.
Sen was Kolkata`s first woman joint commissioner of police (crime) and endeared herself to the masses by her pursuit and cracking of the case involving the alleged rape of an Anglo-Indian woman in a moving car Feb 6 last year.
In contrast to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who dismissed the allegations of the victim as "cooked up", Sen and her team continued the probe and arrested three people to conclude that the mother of two had indeed been raped.
Sen`s endeavours also virtually ran counter to Police Commissioner Ranjit Pachnanda`s comment that the vicitm`s allegation was a campaign to "malign the police and the government".
But only two days after she cracked the case, Sen and Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim rushed to the state secretariat to "clarify" their stand to the chief minister.
About six weeks later, Sen was transferred as deputy inspector general of police (training) in Barrackpore, considered a garage posting for an Indian Police Service officer till then entrusted with solving complex crime cases in the metropolis.
Sen`s removal triggered angry reactions and till date the incident is cited by the opposition and civil society as an example of the state administration`s shoddy treatment of upright police officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?