It was wrong to ally with Cong in 2011 Assembly polls: Mamata
Amtala: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said it had not been a correct decision to align with Congress in the 2011 Assembly elections and accused the Congress of holding out the threat of CBI "whenever there is a protest against the UPA government".
"It was not a correct decision to ally with Congress in the Assembly election. There is always good result in fighting alone. If the Trinamool Congress had contested alone, it could have done better and got 293 out of 294 seats," Banerjee, the Trinamool Congress supremo told a panchayat election rally here in South 24 Parganas district.
Trinamool Congress brought down the curtain on the 34-year uninterrupted rule of Left Front after a historic win in West Bengal.
The party won 185 seats and Congress 42 in the 2011 Assembly election.
Both parties fought together in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections and TMC won 19 and Congress six out of 42 seats.
Banerjee has already announced that TMC would go alone in future elections in Bengal and is contesting the on-going panchayat polls without any alliance.
She alleged that Congress in Bengal had forged an "unholy alliance" with CPI(M) and BJP in the panchayat polls.
"Their`s is an unholy and unethical alliance. Do not cast a single vote to them. TMC is depending on the people`s grand alliance," she said.
Training her guns on the Centre, Banerjee alleged that the CBI was used by it to browbeat opponents.
Accusing the UPA government of pursuing `anti-people` policies, she said petrol price was hiked repeatedly.
"There is a limit to everything.
"And, if there is protest against Centre`s anti-people policies, then the threat of CBI comes," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price