It`s unfair to blame Centre and DVC for floods: Congress
Kolkata: Congress on Wednesday termed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s allegations blaming Jharkhand and the DVC for recent floods in southern part of the state as "baseless" and questioned why her government had not taken any precautionary measure to prevent it.
"It is unfair on her part to blame the DVC for the floods. The DVC had given prior information to the state government about the decision to release water," WBPCC chief Pradip Bhattacharjee told a news agency.
Questioning why the state government had not taken any precautionary measure following the warning, Bhattacharjee said if the state had done so the effect would have been minimised.
"When the state government had prior information about the release of water, they should have taken precautionary measures to minimise the problem, but they didn`t," he said.
Describing the floods as `man-made`, Banerjee has sought intervention of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the release of water by the Jharkhand government and DVC without consulting the West Bengal Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?