It`s unfair to blame Centre and DVC for floods: Congress
Kolkata: Congress on Wednesday termed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s allegations blaming Jharkhand and the DVC for recent floods in southern part of the state as "baseless" and questioned why her government had not taken any precautionary measure to prevent it.
"It is unfair on her part to blame the DVC for the floods. The DVC had given prior information to the state government about the decision to release water," WBPCC chief Pradip Bhattacharjee told a news agency.
Questioning why the state government had not taken any precautionary measure following the warning, Bhattacharjee said if the state had done so the effect would have been minimised.
"When the state government had prior information about the release of water, they should have taken precautionary measures to minimise the problem, but they didn`t," he said.
Describing the floods as `man-made`, Banerjee has sought intervention of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the release of water by the Jharkhand government and DVC without consulting the West Bengal Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire