Jadavpur University student complains of severe ragging
Behrampore: An engineering student of the Jadavpur University has filed a police complaint, alleging he had to leave the university because of severe ragging at the hands of senior students in the hostel where he was staying.
Siddhanta Mundra, a second year student of mechanical engineering, said in the FIR lodged with the Kandi police station in Murshidabad district, where he resides, that he could hardly attend classes because of torture inflicted on him.
Kandi IC Sunoyon Basu today confirmed having received the complaint on October 1.
Mundra stated in the FIR that as he was even forced to take drugs, he was shifted to a private mess from the hostel.
But his ordeal did not stop there, he complained, as he was threatened with dire consequences.
The student`s father Ramesh Chandra Mundra said that his son had even received a threat letter at the mess and that he was at the beck and call of senior students.
Dean of Jadavpur university Rajat Roy said Mundra did not inform the authorities before leaving.
However, Roy said, "But we want him back in the university. He is a meritorious student. The university authorities will do everything to support him. All he has to do is come to us."
Roy also advised the student`s father to lodge a complaint with the university and register a general diary at the Jadavpur police station.
The father, however, alleged that he had gone to the Jadavpur police station, but his complaint was not registered.
Even the university authorities refused to accept any written complaint, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...