Jadavpur University student complains of severe ragging
Behrampore: An engineering student of the Jadavpur University has filed a police complaint, alleging he had to leave the university because of severe ragging at the hands of senior students in the hostel where he was staying.
Siddhanta Mundra, a second year student of mechanical engineering, said in the FIR lodged with the Kandi police station in Murshidabad district, where he resides, that he could hardly attend classes because of torture inflicted on him.
Kandi IC Sunoyon Basu today confirmed having received the complaint on October 1.
Mundra stated in the FIR that as he was even forced to take drugs, he was shifted to a private mess from the hostel.
But his ordeal did not stop there, he complained, as he was threatened with dire consequences.
The student`s father Ramesh Chandra Mundra said that his son had even received a threat letter at the mess and that he was at the beck and call of senior students.
Dean of Jadavpur university Rajat Roy said Mundra did not inform the authorities before leaving.
However, Roy said, "But we want him back in the university. He is a meritorious student. The university authorities will do everything to support him. All he has to do is come to us."
Roy also advised the student`s father to lodge a complaint with the university and register a general diary at the Jadavpur police station.
The father, however, alleged that he had gone to the Jadavpur police station, but his complaint was not registered.
Even the university authorities refused to accept any written complaint, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic