Jadavpur University students continue relay hunger-strike
Kolkata: Engineering students of Jadavpur University have been on a relay hunger-strike since Friday night which they went on shortly after lifting a 51-hour gherao of the VC, Pro-VC and the registrar demanding revocation of the suspension of two students for ragging.
"Our relay hunger-strike is to press for withdrawal of the suspension orders since it was not a case of ragging," claimed a spokesman of the agitating students belonging to Forum for Engineering and Technology Students Union (FETSU).
He said that the university authority`s decision has been challenged and demand made for a fresh probe to `find the truth`.
Registrar P K Ghosh said that the university authority has asked the agitators to call off the relay hunger-strike, but there would be no change in the decision on suspension of the two fourth year students.
The students last night lifted a 51-hour gherao of the Vice Chancellor, Pro-VC and the Registrar, but shortly afterwards launched a relay hunger-strike on their demand.
Pro-VC Siddhartha Dutta said that the gherao has been withdrawn unconditionally and the university authorities have not buckled under pressure to revoke the suspension order on the two students and were firm on their decision.
Dutta, along with VC Souvik Bhattacharya were taken ill during the gherao and were advised rest by doctors.
West Bengal Education minister Bratya Basu has condemned the gherao and described it as `inhuman`.
Basu has said that the state government was totally against ragging and gherao in educational institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25