Jail for rapists after 11 years
Raigunj (WB): A local court on Thursday awarded ten years rigorous imprisonment to two persons in connection with the gangrape of a deaf and dumb woman more than 11 years ago.
North Dinajpur Additional District Sessions Judge S K Ray also ordered the two pay fine of Rs 10,000 each in default of which they would undergo three more months in jail.
On May 8, 2001 the 32 year-old deaf and dumb woman was forcibly taken away from her home at Goitor village, near here, by her neighbours Madhusudan Sarkar and Kailash Burman and raped in a paddy field.
Her family had lodged a police complaint and the woman had identified the two in a test identification parade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players