Jail for rapists after 11 years
Raigunj (WB): A local court on Thursday awarded ten years rigorous imprisonment to two persons in connection with the gangrape of a deaf and dumb woman more than 11 years ago.
North Dinajpur Additional District Sessions Judge S K Ray also ordered the two pay fine of Rs 10,000 each in default of which they would undergo three more months in jail.
On May 8, 2001 the 32 year-old deaf and dumb woman was forcibly taken away from her home at Goitor village, near here, by her neighbours Madhusudan Sarkar and Kailash Burman and raped in a paddy field.
Her family had lodged a police complaint and the woman had identified the two in a test identification parade.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative