Jairam all praise for Mamata Banerjee
New Delhi: Praising West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s role in the development of Jungle Mahal, a former Maoist hotbed, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Thursday said she had shown the "political courage" for the work done there.
"She may not be our ally now but I must say that she had transformed the scenario in Jungle Mahal. She had shown the political courage required for the changes in the Naxal-affected areas," Ramesh said after meeting West Bengal Rural Development Minister Subrato Mukherjee here.
Jungle Mahal areas, consisting of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts, was the worst Naxal-affected zone in West Bengal during CPI(M) rule.
"The kind of political mobilisation that happened in Jungle Mahal during the last two years is worth mentioning and one should not take away the credit due to her", he said and added Mamata`s "approach is the right approach (for tackling Naxal problem).
Mamata-led Trinamool Congress had withdrawn support to UPA over the reforms measures, including FDI in retail, initiated by the Centre.
Ramesh said Congress is also organising a rally in the Jungle Mahal this month to mobilise public support for the party.
Ramesh also lauded Bengal government`s role in speedy execution of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act scheme.
"The state has ascended to number three position from number 21 in NREGA. There were about 13,000km long road sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) in 2012-13," Ramesh said.
The central fund under NREGA has also been doubled up for Bengal in current fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Direct entry for Hindu migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh in MBBS, BE courses
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: NADA hearing to continue on Thursday
- Govt says only pulses prices have increased; Opposition protests
- RBI imposes Rs 27-crore penalty on 13 banks
- ACHIEVEMENT! Anurag Thakur to join Territorial Army; will be 1st serving BJP MP to join military force