Jawan critically injured in Maoist firing in West Bengal
Kolkata: A jawan of joint security forces
was critically injured on Wednesday when Maoists fired at a patrol
party on routine combing operations at Birihari forest area in
West Midnapore district on the first day of two-day Naxal-
Ajay Gupta, a jawan of assistant sub-inspector rank,
was rushed to Midnapore medical college hospital in a serious
condition, police said.
Security reinforcements were rushed to the area to
flush out the Maoists, they said.
Security has already been tightened at all CRPF camps
and posts in the Maoist-dominated Jangalmahal area after the
Naxal attack that killed 26 CRPF personnel yesterday in
Chhattisgarh`s Narayanpur district.
The shutdown called by the Maoists against alleged
police atrocities has seriously affected life in Jangalmahal
area comprising West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts.
Though trains were plying, surface transport came to a
halt in the area, they said.
Offices, schools and colleges as well as business
establishments remained closed and police patrolled the areas.
Maoists posters were found at Binpur and Belpahari
areas of West Midnapore district in support of the shutdown.
Meanwhile, a police hunt was on for the assailants of
Phulchand Mahato, a Class X student, whose body was found at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more