Jnaneswari Exp resumes night journey from Howrah
New Delhi: Nearly two years after night
running of the train was suspended on the route, Mumbai-bound
Jnaneshwari Express has resumed its nocturnal journey from
Howrah, railway officials said here on Monday.
The train left Howrah station on schedule at 10.55 pm on
Sunday evening after more than 19 months as the ban on night
movement of the train between Kharagpur and Tatanagar was
lifted recently by the railways, the officials said.
This was the same train that was targeted by Maoists on
the wee hours of May 28, 2010 between the two stations killing
148 passengers, prompting railways to impose an immediate ban
on night movment of the train on the route.
Jnaneshwari along with several other trains was
rescheduled following this and continued to run on revised
timings, posing inconvenience to passengers.
Till the report was filed, the train was running almost
on time and would reach Mumbai in the early hours tomorrow
after a gap of 19 months.
Strangely, one could still see the mangled coaches of
the ill-fated rake lying adjacent to the rail tracks near
Jhargram where the accident, considered one of the worst
tragedies in the annals of rail history, had taken place.
However, Railways had kept the scheduled departure of
the train after 19 months a low key affair fearing any
mischievious attempts from rogue elements resulting in the
occasion largely going unnoticed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming