Job reservation for Muslim OBCs by Mamata govt
Basirhat: Announcing sops for minorities ahead of panchayat elections next year in the state, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said a survey has been ordered for ensuring job reservation for Other Backward Classes among Muslims.
Backward Classes Welfare Minister Upendra Nath Biswas has been directed to ensure that the report on the survey was submitted immediately and a law would be passed in the assembly within a month.
Referring to the 10 per cent quota announced by the previous Left Front government for OBCs among Muslims, she said "the survey has been ordered as the reservation will have to be made legal. What the previous government did in this matter has no legal basis."
She said the new law would also have provision for ensuring higher education of boys and girls and that an employment bank would be created.
"I want more Muslim boys and girls to go for higher education and become doctors and engineers", the Chief Minister said.
Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had in February, 2010, announced the OBC quota for Muslims, acting on the recommendations of the Justice Ranganath Mishra Commission.
The shift in the minority vote away from Left Front and towards Trinamool Congress was one of the reasons for the electoral reverses suffered by Left parties in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections in West Bengal as well as in the state assembly polls last May which saw Trinamool Congress sweeping to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof