Judicial system should be accessible and affordable: Prez
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee has said the nation`s judicial system should not only be accessible, but also affordable.
Participating in the closing ceremony of the Sesquicentennial Celebrations of the High Court of Calcutta yesterday, Mukherjee said though the Indian judiciary has preserved its pre-eminent place in Indian democracy, one area where it has lagged behind is in not being able to fully meet the aspirations of the people and provide quick, speedy and accessible justice to those who knock at its doors.
"Much has been done but that is not enough. Our courts need to be urgently strengthened with additional resources. The filling of vacancies in courts across the country must be taken up as a priority by all concerned. The process of selection and appointment of judges should conform to the highest of standards and should be based on well established and transparent principles," he added.
Mukherjee further said in order to address time consuming and expensive litigation, alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as mediation and arbitration should be encouraged.
"Further, there must be adequate provision for free legal aid. Greater efforts are also needed to spread legal literacy across the nation and improve the quality of legal education," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India