Judicial system should be accessible and affordable: Prez
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee has said the nation`s judicial system should not only be accessible, but also affordable.
Participating in the closing ceremony of the Sesquicentennial Celebrations of the High Court of Calcutta yesterday, Mukherjee said though the Indian judiciary has preserved its pre-eminent place in Indian democracy, one area where it has lagged behind is in not being able to fully meet the aspirations of the people and provide quick, speedy and accessible justice to those who knock at its doors.
"Much has been done but that is not enough. Our courts need to be urgently strengthened with additional resources. The filling of vacancies in courts across the country must be taken up as a priority by all concerned. The process of selection and appointment of judges should conform to the highest of standards and should be based on well established and transparent principles," he added.
Mukherjee further said in order to address time consuming and expensive litigation, alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as mediation and arbitration should be encouraged.
"Further, there must be adequate provision for free legal aid. Greater efforts are also needed to spread legal literacy across the nation and improve the quality of legal education," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor
- Sidharth Malhotra chills like a boss! See pic
- Gold price extends gains, up Rs 200 per 10 grams
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile