July 21 memorable and painful: Mamata
Kolkata: Dedicating the day July 21 to martyrs of different democratic movements, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the day brings back old memories of "excruciating pain and agony."
"Ever since 1993, every year July 21 brings back excruciating pain and agony to our memory, of the barbaric act of violence and brutal firing meted out by the previous Left Front government," she wrote on her Facebook page on the eve of the annual Martyrs` Day rally.
Nineteen years ago, 13 youths were killed in police firing during a demonstration organised by the Youth Congress, of which Banerjee was president at the time.
"The voice of democratic demand raised in a peaceful procession was stifled with bullets and violence...Every year, 21st July is dedicated to `Sahid family` (martyrs family) belonging to different democratic movements," the Trinamool Congress supremo said.
Describing the day as "memorable and painful," she said, the martyrs` "sacrifice" had inspired and strengthened "our grit, zeal and determination to fight and to establish democratic rights and unveil the misrule of the Left Front government in the state."
She has also posted a photo album where policemen are seen beating demonstrators. One of them shows an injured Banerjee recovering in a hospital.
"Let us bow our heads down, pay obeisance and remember their invaluable sacrifice and also take a pledge to rededicate ourselves to continue to fight for the cause of `Maa Mati Manush` and build a harmonious, peaceful and prosperous Bengal," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery