July 21 memorable and painful: Mamata
Kolkata: Dedicating the day July 21 to martyrs of different democratic movements, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the day brings back old memories of "excruciating pain and agony."
"Ever since 1993, every year July 21 brings back excruciating pain and agony to our memory, of the barbaric act of violence and brutal firing meted out by the previous Left Front government," she wrote on her Facebook page on the eve of the annual Martyrs` Day rally.
Nineteen years ago, 13 youths were killed in police firing during a demonstration organised by the Youth Congress, of which Banerjee was president at the time.
"The voice of democratic demand raised in a peaceful procession was stifled with bullets and violence...Every year, 21st July is dedicated to `Sahid family` (martyrs family) belonging to different democratic movements," the Trinamool Congress supremo said.
Describing the day as "memorable and painful," she said, the martyrs` "sacrifice" had inspired and strengthened "our grit, zeal and determination to fight and to establish democratic rights and unveil the misrule of the Left Front government in the state."
She has also posted a photo album where policemen are seen beating demonstrators. One of them shows an injured Banerjee recovering in a hospital.
"Let us bow our heads down, pay obeisance and remember their invaluable sacrifice and also take a pledge to rededicate ourselves to continue to fight for the cause of `Maa Mati Manush` and build a harmonious, peaceful and prosperous Bengal," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police