Junior doctors’ strike enters third day
Kolkata: A patient reportedly died as
medical services at a state-run hospital here remained hit for
the third consecutive day with junior doctors on strike and
local people threatening to gherao them for the restoration of
Local people near the National Medical College and
Hospital threatened to gherao the 300 junior doctors who went
on strike on Thursday night following alleged assault of
colleagues after the death of a patient, police said.
The locals also alleged that a patient had died at the
hospital as medical services had been crippled. A section of
nurses has also joined the stir.
The junior doctors stuck to their demand for the personal
intervention of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who also holds
the health portfolio, to address their grievances and arrange
for proper security.
The hospital authorities were not available for comment.
Director of Medical Education, Sushanta Bandopadhay had
yesterday said doctors might be requisitioned from other
hospitals due to the ongoing strike.
Patients are being taken to other hospitals as medical
services remain affected at the Medical College.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video