Justice Ganguly did not attend WBHRC office for third day
Kolkata: Justice Ashok Kumar Ganguly, indicted by a Supreme Court judges` panel in the case of sexual harassment of a law intern, did not attend office in the West Bengal Human Rights Commission for the third day on Monday, even as clamour for his resignation mounted.
"Justice Ganguly did not come to office today," a senior official at the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) confirmed.
"He has not been attending office since Thursday, making it the third consecutive working day on which he did not attend office," the official told PTI here.
Asked if normal functioning of the commission was being hampered owing to the chairman`s absence, he said, "Yes, in matters where the commission has to hold meetings or which need his attention are not being held owing to his absence."
A committee of three judges of the apex court has indicted their former colleague Justice Ganguly for "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards a woman law intern, prompting demands for his resignation from the chairmanship of WBHRC.
Justice Ganguly was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi last year.
The retired judge has strongly denied the charge.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee wrote two successive letters last week to President Pranab Mukherjee, seeking removal of Justice Ganguly, some of whose recommendations as WBHRC chairman did not go down well with the state government.
While senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj demanded his resignation, it was echoed today by her party colleague and MP Smriti Irani, who said, "I think it is extremely important that an example be set for the rest of the country that if someone who had represented the judicial body or Constitution breaks the law, then that person will be equally dealt under the law."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM