`Justice Sen`s impeachment not unconstitutional`
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused
to declare as unconstitutional the impeachment proceedings
that had been initiated against former Calcutta High Court
judge Soumitra Sen.
A bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam dismissed a PIL
filed by an advocate who was junior to Sen when he was
a practicing lawyer.
Refusing to entertain the petition filed by Subhasish
Chakraborty, the bench said that it cannot interfere with
The impreachment process, however, could not be concluded
as the high court judge resigned five days before the matter
was to be taken up in Lok Sabha.
The petitioner had alleged that the proceedings against
Sen were "arbitrary" and "unconstitutional" and they should be
The bench, however, was not satisfied with his
submissions and dismissed the petition.
Impeachment process against Sen were initiated for his
alleged irregularities and misconduct. An Inquiry Committee,
set up by Rajya Sabha Chairman, had held Sen guilty of
Rajya Sabha had passed the motion against Sen, the first
judge to have been impeached by the Upper House for
Sen, however, faxed his resignation to President
Pratibha Patil on September 1, five days ahead of the process
being initiated in Lok Sabha.
Sen was found guilty of misappropriating Rs 33.23
lakh under his custody as a court-appointed receiver in the
capacity as a lawyer and misrepresenting facts before a
Calcutta court in a 1983 case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH