Jyoti Basu remembered on his 1st death anniversary
Kolkata: Jyoti Basu was remembered on his first death anniversary Monday, with former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee paying tribute saying that the late CPI(M) patriarch`s absence was deeply felt when politics in West Bengal had turned bloody.
"The spurt in political violence and hostility are occurring daily in the state. If Jyoti babu was alive Monday, this situation would not have developed," Chatterjee said after visiting Indira Bhavan where Basu had lived Chatterjee recounted the days when an ailing Basu,
three years before his death, had invited Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to discuss burning issues, particularly after the Nandigram violence.
"It was at Basu`s instance that the opposition leader came to his residence for discussing serious political issues. At this juncture, Jyoti Basu`s absence is deeply felt," Chatterjee, who has been expelled from CPI(M) for `anti-party activities`, said after garalding Basu`s portrait.
CPI(M) sources said that approval had been received for the land applied for setting up of a `Jyoti Basu Centre for Social Studies and Research` at Rajarhat renamed Jyoti Basunagar on the outskirts of the metropolis.
The party has appealed for donations for constructing the proposed Centre which would have a full-fledged library, an auditorium, a seminar hall primarily to provide documentation about Basu`s lifelong work for communism and contribution to the mass movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown