Jyoti Basu still critical but responding to treatment
Kolkata: Ailing Marxist leader Jyoti Basu
had a second blood transfusion on Wednesday and is responding to
treatment though he is still critical and on ventilation in
"He is responding to treatment and medicines," Dr TS
Kuckrejja, executive vice-president of AMRI hospital, where
95-year-old Basu was admitted on January 1 because of
pneumonia, told reporters.
"His general condition still remains critical. He
received a second unit of blood today. He continues to be on
partial ventilation support," a medical bulletin issued by the
hospital said in the evening.
Basu was given a unit of blood yesterday to raise his
haemoglobin level, which had decreased to eight. It had risen
to nine after yesterday`s blood transfusion.
The CPI-M patriarch was given blood pressure
stabilising drug, Ionotropes.
The medical board was constantly monitoring Basu`s
condition and would review it again at 11.00 am tomorrow.
"The markers of infection have marginally come down,"
D N Agarawal, executive director of the hospital said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...