Jyoti Basu`s condition extremely critical: Doctor
Kolkata: The condition of 95-year-old CPI(M)
patriarch Jyoti Basu, who has suffered multi-organ failure,
turned "extremely critical" Saturday night after his blood pressure
began dropping when he was on dialysis.
"The Slow Low Efficiency Daily Dialysis (SLEDD) on Basu
which was to continue for eight hours, was stopped after seven
and a half hours as his blood pressure began dropping. His
condition is extremely critical," Dr Ajit Kumar Maity, Basu`s
personal physician and a member of the medical board at AMRI
hospital where the CPI(M) leader is admitted, said.
Since he has suffered multi-organ failure, the effect of
the dialysis is not being sustained, he said.
"Basu will undergo SLEDD for eight hours again tomorrow.
He will undergo it every day as long as he is able to tolerate
it," Maity said.
When a patient is unable to withstand normal dialysis,
SLEDD is resorted to.
The evening bulletin of the hospital said: "He is in a
state of multi-organ failure. His condition is extremely
Hospital Executive Director D N Agarwal earlier said that
Basu was on full ventilatory support and there was also a
further drop in his urine output.
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan, senior party leaders Prakash
Karat and Brinda Karat, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath
Chatterjee, former chief minister Siddharta Sankar Ray visited
the hospital during the day.
Basu was admitted to AMRI Hospital with pneumonia on
January 1 and put on a ventilator on January 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'