Kamduni gang-rape murder accused pray for protection
Kolkata: The accused in the Kamduni gang-rape and murder of a 20-year-old college girl on Friday prayed for protection, expressing apprehension that they might be subjected to bodily harm in custody.
The accused, who were produced before the court of Sanchari Sarkar, Additional Sessions Judge II at Bankshall Court here, prayed through their counsel Firoz Edulji that necessary security be provided to them so that they are not tortured or subjected to bodily harm.
Stating that one of the accused has already been severely assaulted at Dumdum correctional home recently, Edulji prayed that armed guards be posted outside the cell of the petitioners and that they be kept segregated from other inmates in the home.
The petitioners submitted that Ajmal Kasab, the only terrorist caught alive in the Mumbai 26/11 attack, had been provided round-the-clock security at the Arthur Road prison in Maharashtra.
The accused persons also referred to the Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh`s unnatural death in Tihar Jail and expressed fear that they might also face the same fate.
Claiming that they might be poisoned, they also demanded that food served to them in custody be tasted before being served to them.
The hearing in the matter was adjourned till Tuesday, when it would be taken up for hearing again.
The college girl was abducted, gang-raped and murdered in Kamduni village near Barasat, about 20 km from Kolkata, on June 7 this year.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on