Kamduni gang-rape murder accused pray for protection
Kolkata: The accused in the Kamduni gang-rape and murder of a 20-year-old college girl on Friday prayed for protection, expressing apprehension that they might be subjected to bodily harm in custody.
The accused, who were produced before the court of Sanchari Sarkar, Additional Sessions Judge II at Bankshall Court here, prayed through their counsel Firoz Edulji that necessary security be provided to them so that they are not tortured or subjected to bodily harm.
Stating that one of the accused has already been severely assaulted at Dumdum correctional home recently, Edulji prayed that armed guards be posted outside the cell of the petitioners and that they be kept segregated from other inmates in the home.
The petitioners submitted that Ajmal Kasab, the only terrorist caught alive in the Mumbai 26/11 attack, had been provided round-the-clock security at the Arthur Road prison in Maharashtra.
The accused persons also referred to the Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh`s unnatural death in Tihar Jail and expressed fear that they might also face the same fate.
Claiming that they might be poisoned, they also demanded that food served to them in custody be tasted before being served to them.
The hearing in the matter was adjourned till Tuesday, when it would be taken up for hearing again.
The college girl was abducted, gang-raped and murdered in Kamduni village near Barasat, about 20 km from Kolkata, on June 7 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM