Kangaroo court unacceptable in West Bengal: Minister
Suri: Terming kangaroo courts as unacceptable in the state, West Bengal Minister Shashi Panja on Friday said that the administration was with the tribal girl who was gang-raped on the orders of one such court.
"The state government doesn`t support self-styled or kangaroo courts. We won`t accept such things. Such self-styled courts cannot punish anyone on whims and fancies," said Panja, the Women and Child Welfare Minister, after visiting the victim at the hospital here in Birbhum district.
"Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has empowered the police to take action against the culprits," Panja said.
"We are with the victim and their family members. A special trauma and medical team has been constituted to look after the 20-year-old girl," she said.
A senior health official said that the condition of the girl, who was gang-raped on the orders of a kangaroo court after she failed to pay a fine of Rs 50,000 for having an affair with a boy from outside her community, was stable at present.
Meanwhile in Kolkata, state CPI(M) secretary Biman Bose alleged that the removal of Birbhum Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for failing to secure police custody for the 13 accused, was a cover up.
"The SP has been shunted out in order to cover up the case. What should be done is to make sure that the culprits are given severe punishment. Rapists in Bengal are going scot free due to the ignorance of the state administration," Bose claimed.
The 13 accused were today taken in police remand for 13 days after the police presented a fresh case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram