Kangaroo court unacceptable in West Bengal: Minister
Suri: Terming kangaroo courts as unacceptable in the state, West Bengal Minister Shashi Panja on Friday said that the administration was with the tribal girl who was gang-raped on the orders of one such court.
"The state government doesn`t support self-styled or kangaroo courts. We won`t accept such things. Such self-styled courts cannot punish anyone on whims and fancies," said Panja, the Women and Child Welfare Minister, after visiting the victim at the hospital here in Birbhum district.
"Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has empowered the police to take action against the culprits," Panja said.
"We are with the victim and their family members. A special trauma and medical team has been constituted to look after the 20-year-old girl," she said.
A senior health official said that the condition of the girl, who was gang-raped on the orders of a kangaroo court after she failed to pay a fine of Rs 50,000 for having an affair with a boy from outside her community, was stable at present.
Meanwhile in Kolkata, state CPI(M) secretary Biman Bose alleged that the removal of Birbhum Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for failing to secure police custody for the 13 accused, was a cover up.
"The SP has been shunted out in order to cover up the case. What should be done is to make sure that the culprits are given severe punishment. Rapists in Bengal are going scot free due to the ignorance of the state administration," Bose claimed.
The 13 accused were today taken in police remand for 13 days after the police presented a fresh case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional