Kangaroo court unacceptable in West Bengal: Minister
Suri: Terming kangaroo courts as unacceptable in the state, West Bengal Minister Shashi Panja on Friday said that the administration was with the tribal girl who was gang-raped on the orders of one such court.
"The state government doesn`t support self-styled or kangaroo courts. We won`t accept such things. Such self-styled courts cannot punish anyone on whims and fancies," said Panja, the Women and Child Welfare Minister, after visiting the victim at the hospital here in Birbhum district.
"Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has empowered the police to take action against the culprits," Panja said.
"We are with the victim and their family members. A special trauma and medical team has been constituted to look after the 20-year-old girl," she said.
A senior health official said that the condition of the girl, who was gang-raped on the orders of a kangaroo court after she failed to pay a fine of Rs 50,000 for having an affair with a boy from outside her community, was stable at present.
Meanwhile in Kolkata, state CPI(M) secretary Biman Bose alleged that the removal of Birbhum Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for failing to secure police custody for the 13 accused, was a cover up.
"The SP has been shunted out in order to cover up the case. What should be done is to make sure that the culprits are given severe punishment. Rapists in Bengal are going scot free due to the ignorance of the state administration," Bose claimed.
The 13 accused were today taken in police remand for 13 days after the police presented a fresh case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31