Kangaroo court unacceptable in West Bengal: Minister
Suri: Terming kangaroo courts as unacceptable in the state, West Bengal Minister Shashi Panja on Friday said that the administration was with the tribal girl who was gang-raped on the orders of one such court.
"The state government doesn`t support self-styled or kangaroo courts. We won`t accept such things. Such self-styled courts cannot punish anyone on whims and fancies," said Panja, the Women and Child Welfare Minister, after visiting the victim at the hospital here in Birbhum district.
"Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has empowered the police to take action against the culprits," Panja said.
"We are with the victim and their family members. A special trauma and medical team has been constituted to look after the 20-year-old girl," she said.
A senior health official said that the condition of the girl, who was gang-raped on the orders of a kangaroo court after she failed to pay a fine of Rs 50,000 for having an affair with a boy from outside her community, was stable at present.
Meanwhile in Kolkata, state CPI(M) secretary Biman Bose alleged that the removal of Birbhum Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for failing to secure police custody for the 13 accused, was a cover up.
"The SP has been shunted out in order to cover up the case. What should be done is to make sure that the culprits are given severe punishment. Rapists in Bengal are going scot free due to the ignorance of the state administration," Bose claimed.
The 13 accused were today taken in police remand for 13 days after the police presented a fresh case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?