Karat for strengthening Left unity
Kolkata: Insisting that only the Left had an
alternative to the "anti-people" policies of the Centre, CPI-M
General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday advocated greater Left
unity in building up a country-wide campaign against price
rise, unemployment and the plight of farmers.
"We will build up a country-wide campaign against price
rise, unemployment and the plight of the farmers and workers.
Only the Left parties have alternative policies against the
anti-people policies of the Centre. We will work in building
up a popular Left unity. We will move forward by uniting all
Left parties," Karat told a CPI(M) rally here.
The rally was the first after the defeat of the Left Front
in West Bengal for the first time in 34 years.
Referring to the unprecedented price rise, he said food
inflation had remained sky-high for 38 months and alleged that
the government had surpassed all records of corruption.
"The government is responsible for the price rise. Since
the decontrol of petrol and diesel prices, these have seen 15
upward revisions. The prices have not been increased for the
past two months because of the Assembly elections in five
states. The prices will rise again after March 1," he said.
Describing the 2G scam as the biggest example of
corruption, Karat said the Supreme Court had ordered
cancellation of licenses of 122 telecom companies.
"But this government is shameless. It insists that no
bribe has been paid and there has been no loss to the
exchequer," Karat said, adding, "The rich and corporates have
been given an open licence to loot the country."
Claiming only the Left-ruled states have been free from
corruption charges, he alleged that such charges have surfaced
against all others, be it Congress or BJP ruled states.
He said the proposed Food Security Act would not be able
to protect the security of food. "The Left Front government in
West Bengal had tried to implement universal rationing system.
We will campaign for it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics