Karat rejects `third front` as an alternative
Kolkata: CPI-M General Secretary Prakash
Karat on FRIDAY rejected the concept of third front as an
alternative to the present political situation in the country
and advocated a non-Congress and non-BJP Left democratic
secular alliance instead.
"We are not in favour of any third front as an
alternative to the present political situation. But we prefer
a non-BJP, non-Congress Left democratic secular alliance,"
he told reporters at the end of a four-day CPI-M Central
While the scams-ridden Congress-led UPA-II "failed
miserably" to run the government in a transparent way, the BJP
has also been "exposed" particularly on the issue of Lokpal
Bill, he said.
People are fed up with scams of the UPA-II government one
after another, besides its "miserable" performance on various
issues, Karat said.
At this stage a true alternative of the present political
situation could only be found in a non-BJP, non-Congress left
democratic secular alliance, he added.
To a question about their stand in the forthcoming
assembly election in Uttar Pradesh, Karat said that the CPI-M
would fight there against the Congress, the BJP and the BSP.
"We want defeat of the Congress, the BJP and the BSP in Uttar
Pradesh," he said.
The CPI-M, which once even projected the BSP leader
Mayawati as a leader at the national level, ruled out its support to her now, while strongly criticising her government
saying "the BSP has a record of misrule with many instances of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry