Kishenji aide Suchitra Mahato surrenders in WB
Kolkata: Top Maoist leader and Kishenji’s aide, Suchitra Mahato surrendered before West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday.
"This is a success. We want peace. This is a big gift of Holi," Banerjee told a press conference at the state secretariat.
Mahato surrendered along with her new husband Pradush Garai. They had married Feb 25 this year.
Maoist leader Mallojula Koteshwar Rao alias Kishenji was killed by the security forces last year.
Importantly, Suchitra, widow of Maoist leader Sashadhar Mahato - killed in March 2011 in a gun battle with the security forces - was accompanying Kishenji when the Moaist leader was being hunted. She was believed to have been injured in the gunfight but managed to escape.
Early this month a Maoist leader, said to be the successor of slain rebel chieftain Kishenji, and four of his aides were arrested from various parts of West Bengal.
A court has sent them to police custody till March 13.
The Special Task Force (STF) of the Kolkata Police along with Greyhounds, an elite commando force of Andhra Pradesh, nabbed the extremists from various parts of the city. An arms building workshop was busted and blueprints and several key components for building a rocket launcher, explosives, Rs 2.5 lakh and several rounds of live ammunition were seized in the process.
While RK and Dipak were arrested from north Kolkata Wednesday morning, Mudi, Patra and Mandal were nabbed from North 24 Parganas` Belghoria late night following leads yielded by interrogation of the duo.
RK who supervised Maoist operations in Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Chhattisgarh, took over the reins in West Bengal after Kishenji alias Koteshwar Rao was killed by security forces in a gun battle Nov 14 last year, Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands