Kishenji`s niece identifies his body
West Midnapore : The body of one of the top Maoist leaders Kishenji, who was killed in a gun fight with security forces, was on Saturday identified by his niece Deepa Rao, Maoist ideologue P Varvara Rao said.
"Deepa has identified the body. It is of Kishenji. After the post-mortem is done today (Saturday), he will be taken to Kolkata. After the legal formalities are completed there, he would be flown to his native place in Andhra Pradesh," Rao told IANS.
The body of the slain rebel leader has been kept at the Midnapore Medical College and Hospital where the autopsy would be done.
Deepa and Rao are in the district to identify and take back the leader`s body.
The West Bengal government on Friday decided to send the body of Kishenji to Andhra Pradesh after consulting his family and completing procedural formalities.
"The body is being sent," Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told media persons in reply to a query.
Security agencies have claimed that Communist Party of India-Maoist`s (CPI-Maoist) politburo member Kishenji, whose real name was Mallojula Koteshwar Rao, died in a gun fight Thursday in West Midnapore district`s Burishole, 10 km from the border with Jharkhand.
While Rao had claimed that the rebel leader was killed by the security forces in a fake gun battle, the rebels have called a two-day state shutdown from Saturday to protest against the killing of their leader in what they said was a "staged" gunfight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared