Kishenji`s niece identifies his body
West Midnapore : The body of one of the top Maoist leaders Kishenji, who was killed in a gun fight with security forces, was on Saturday identified by his niece Deepa Rao, Maoist ideologue P Varvara Rao said.
"Deepa has identified the body. It is of Kishenji. After the post-mortem is done today (Saturday), he will be taken to Kolkata. After the legal formalities are completed there, he would be flown to his native place in Andhra Pradesh," Rao told IANS.
The body of the slain rebel leader has been kept at the Midnapore Medical College and Hospital where the autopsy would be done.
Deepa and Rao are in the district to identify and take back the leader`s body.
The West Bengal government on Friday decided to send the body of Kishenji to Andhra Pradesh after consulting his family and completing procedural formalities.
"The body is being sent," Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told media persons in reply to a query.
Security agencies have claimed that Communist Party of India-Maoist`s (CPI-Maoist) politburo member Kishenji, whose real name was Mallojula Koteshwar Rao, died in a gun fight Thursday in West Midnapore district`s Burishole, 10 km from the border with Jharkhand.
While Rao had claimed that the rebel leader was killed by the security forces in a fake gun battle, the rebels have called a two-day state shutdown from Saturday to protest against the killing of their leader in what they said was a "staged" gunfight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’