Kolkata airport modernisation work to be over by end 2011
Kolkata: The Rs 2,300-crore modernisation
project of the NSC Bose International Airport here would be
completed by the end of next year, airport officials said
"We have already completed 42.5 per cent of the airport`s
modernisation project and the rest is expected to be completed
by the end of 2011," Kolkata airport advisory committee`s
chairman Saugata Roy told reporters.
"In 2009-10, the airport handled 80 lakh passengers. Post
upgrading, it would be able to handle two crore passengers
annually," he said.
The Airport Authority of India (AAI) earned a revenue of
Rs 85 crore from the Kolkata airport last fiscal.
Meanwhile, a meeting was held to discuss the various
aspects of passenger security and facilitation in the airport.
Roy, Airport Director R Srinivasan and Director (Project) D P
Sharma were present in the meet.
Besides taking additional security measures for passenger
safety, the meeting decided to take steps to curb menace of
touts and unauthorised foreign exchange dealers operating
inside the airport terminus, officials said.
To accommodate 250 more passengers, the transit area in
the airport would be increased by 300 metres, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears