Kolkata airport modernisation work to be over by end 2011
Kolkata: The Rs 2,300-crore modernisation
project of the NSC Bose International Airport here would be
completed by the end of next year, airport officials said
"We have already completed 42.5 per cent of the airport`s
modernisation project and the rest is expected to be completed
by the end of 2011," Kolkata airport advisory committee`s
chairman Saugata Roy told reporters.
"In 2009-10, the airport handled 80 lakh passengers. Post
upgrading, it would be able to handle two crore passengers
annually," he said.
The Airport Authority of India (AAI) earned a revenue of
Rs 85 crore from the Kolkata airport last fiscal.
Meanwhile, a meeting was held to discuss the various
aspects of passenger security and facilitation in the airport.
Roy, Airport Director R Srinivasan and Director (Project) D P
Sharma were present in the meet.
Besides taking additional security measures for passenger
safety, the meeting decided to take steps to curb menace of
touts and unauthorised foreign exchange dealers operating
inside the airport terminus, officials said.
To accommodate 250 more passengers, the transit area in
the airport would be increased by 300 metres, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea