Kolkata airport modernisation work to be over by end 2011
Kolkata: The Rs 2,300-crore modernisation
project of the NSC Bose International Airport here would be
completed by the end of next year, airport officials said
"We have already completed 42.5 per cent of the airport`s
modernisation project and the rest is expected to be completed
by the end of 2011," Kolkata airport advisory committee`s
chairman Saugata Roy told reporters.
"In 2009-10, the airport handled 80 lakh passengers. Post
upgrading, it would be able to handle two crore passengers
annually," he said.
The Airport Authority of India (AAI) earned a revenue of
Rs 85 crore from the Kolkata airport last fiscal.
Meanwhile, a meeting was held to discuss the various
aspects of passenger security and facilitation in the airport.
Roy, Airport Director R Srinivasan and Director (Project) D P
Sharma were present in the meet.
Besides taking additional security measures for passenger
safety, the meeting decided to take steps to curb menace of
touts and unauthorised foreign exchange dealers operating
inside the airport terminus, officials said.
To accommodate 250 more passengers, the transit area in
the airport would be increased by 300 metres, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown