Kolkata airport modernisation work to be over by end 2011
Kolkata: The Rs 2,300-crore modernisation
project of the NSC Bose International Airport here would be
completed by the end of next year, airport officials said
"We have already completed 42.5 per cent of the airport`s
modernisation project and the rest is expected to be completed
by the end of 2011," Kolkata airport advisory committee`s
chairman Saugata Roy told reporters.
"In 2009-10, the airport handled 80 lakh passengers. Post
upgrading, it would be able to handle two crore passengers
annually," he said.
The Airport Authority of India (AAI) earned a revenue of
Rs 85 crore from the Kolkata airport last fiscal.
Meanwhile, a meeting was held to discuss the various
aspects of passenger security and facilitation in the airport.
Roy, Airport Director R Srinivasan and Director (Project) D P
Sharma were present in the meet.
Besides taking additional security measures for passenger
safety, the meeting decided to take steps to curb menace of
touts and unauthorised foreign exchange dealers operating
inside the airport terminus, officials said.
To accommodate 250 more passengers, the transit area in
the airport would be increased by 300 metres, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India