Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her plans to "refurbish" Kolkata and make it like London would take time as the metropolis was not a planned city like Delhi.
"Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day. There are a lot of problems. There will be a hue and cry if we try to acquire an inch of land for road expansion," Banerjee said.
"Whenever plans and programmes are taken up for something like road expansion, waters are muddied," she said while speaking at a programme of the Kolkata police on the occasion of the forthcoming Durga Puja festival.
"Kolkata was not built as a planned city. When New Delhi was built, there was no media like today," she said.
Apparently blaming the previous Left Front government`s alleged forcible acquisition of land for difficulties in acquiring land now, Banerjee said "There was misuse of land acquisition."
The chief minister released two volumes of Kolkata Police magazine `Protector` and puja guide maps. The guide map featured a cover sketched by Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27