Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her plans to "refurbish" Kolkata and make it like London would take time as the metropolis was not a planned city like Delhi.
"Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day. There are a lot of problems. There will be a hue and cry if we try to acquire an inch of land for road expansion," Banerjee said.
"Whenever plans and programmes are taken up for something like road expansion, waters are muddied," she said while speaking at a programme of the Kolkata police on the occasion of the forthcoming Durga Puja festival.
"Kolkata was not built as a planned city. When New Delhi was built, there was no media like today," she said.
Apparently blaming the previous Left Front government`s alleged forcible acquisition of land for difficulties in acquiring land now, Banerjee said "There was misuse of land acquisition."
The chief minister released two volumes of Kolkata Police magazine `Protector` and puja guide maps. The guide map featured a cover sketched by Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred