Kolkata celebrates as Pranab becomes President
Kolkata: The city erupted with joy Wednesday as Pranab Mukherjee was sworn in as the country`s new President, the first Bengali to occupy the high office. People smeared green gulal on each other and danced to celebrate the historic moment.
Congratulatory arches were erected over several roads, especially near the state Congress office Bidhan Bhavan.
Large-life size portraits of Mukherjee with Congress flags attached adorned several intersections in the city.
Emotional scenes were witnessed on the roads as people burst firecrackers.
Congress workers had started assembling at Bidhan Bhavan since morning and as soon as the oath-taking ceremony was over, they hugged each other and raised slogans of "Pranab Mukherjee Zindabad!"
They also took out colourful processions in the city and several districts celebrating the occassion of `Pranabda` becoming the first person from Bengal to become India`s President.
The party workers also distributed sweets in several part of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali