Kolkata celebrates Eid with fervour
Kolkata: Muslims across Kolkata gathered at the city`s principal mosque, Nakhoda Masjid, since early morning to offer prayers and greet each other on Eid al-Fitr Friday.
The festival marked the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
Dressed in their festive best, Muslims hugged one another at the masjid amid brief spells of rain.
The sprawling Red Road in central Kolkata saw over 42,000 devotees sitting on rugs and offering namaaz or prayer.
Mughlai cuisine, including varieties of biryanis, fresh fruits and home-made desserts, were seen on every platter.
The festival is an all-inclusive affair in Kolkata with members of other religions also taking part.
Fairs and cultural programmes were organised in different pockets of the city where children donning traditional attires were seen revelling in festive spirit.
Heavy security arrangements were made across the city and all districts of the state to prevent any breach of peace.
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today
- Bachchans, SRK, Salman attend Bipasha-Karan Singh Grover’s wedding reception