Kolkata celebrates Eid with fervour
Kolkata: Muslims across Kolkata gathered at the city`s principal mosque, Nakhoda Masjid, since early morning to offer prayers and greet each other on Eid al-Fitr Friday.
The festival marked the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
Dressed in their festive best, Muslims hugged one another at the masjid amid brief spells of rain.
The sprawling Red Road in central Kolkata saw over 42,000 devotees sitting on rugs and offering namaaz or prayer.
Mughlai cuisine, including varieties of biryanis, fresh fruits and home-made desserts, were seen on every platter.
The festival is an all-inclusive affair in Kolkata with members of other religions also taking part.
Fairs and cultural programmes were organised in different pockets of the city where children donning traditional attires were seen revelling in festive spirit.
Heavy security arrangements were made across the city and all districts of the state to prevent any breach of peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire