Kolkata celebrates Eid with fervour
Kolkata: Muslims across Kolkata gathered at the city`s principal mosque, Nakhoda Masjid, since early morning to offer prayers and greet each other on Eid al-Fitr Friday.
The festival marked the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
Dressed in their festive best, Muslims hugged one another at the masjid amid brief spells of rain.
The sprawling Red Road in central Kolkata saw over 42,000 devotees sitting on rugs and offering namaaz or prayer.
Mughlai cuisine, including varieties of biryanis, fresh fruits and home-made desserts, were seen on every platter.
The festival is an all-inclusive affair in Kolkata with members of other religions also taking part.
Fairs and cultural programmes were organised in different pockets of the city where children donning traditional attires were seen revelling in festive spirit.
Heavy security arrangements were made across the city and all districts of the state to prevent any breach of peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state