Kolkata celebrates Saraswati Puja
Kolkata: Goddess Saraswati, the deity of knowledge, learning and music, was worshiped across the city Tuesday. Women, clad in traditional yellow saris, offered flowers, children participated in cultural programmes and families shared `prasad`.
Clay idols of the goddess were seen with a crescent moon on the brow, riding a swan or seated on a lotus with flowers, fruits and sweets placed as offerings before it.
Small marquees were put up in various localities where neighbours gathered to pay obeisance to the goddess.
The rituals started early morning and lasted till midday in schools, colleges, community clubs and households, with priests chanting mantras and devotees placing seasonal `Palash` flowers at the deity`s feet to the ringing sounds of cymbals and conch shells.
Family members pitched in to make necessary arrangements for the elaborate rituals.
Women and girls were decked up in saris in various shades of yellow signifying `Basant Panchami`, heralding the arrival of spring.
People from all age groups also had generous amounts of the customary `khichdi` - a mixture of rice and lentils - accompanied with dollops of sweet chutney.
Traditionally, the day is a no-study affair for students who are happy to give their textbooks a miss to participate in functions organised by their educational institutes.
To receive the goddess`s blessings, students place their books, pens and musical instruments beside the idol for the entire day.
Students sing Rabindranath Tagore`s songs with harmonium and `tanpura` playing in the background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM