Kolkata college violence: Police remand for 12 accused
Kolkata: The two main accused of Garden Reach violence were on Wednesday remanded in police custody till February 26.
The other 10 accused of yesterday`s campus violence that claimed life of a police officer and wounded one critically were also remanded in police custody till February 19.
Sk Suhan and Ibon, the two main accused, were arrested yesterday along with 10 others after sub-inspector Tapas Chowdhury was shot dead during a clash between Congress and Trinamool Congress student unions at Hari Mohan Ghosh college during filing of nominations for a college election.
Police Commissioner RK Pachnanda handed over a cheque for Rs 2 lakh to the SI`s widow Minati at her Thakurpukur residence during the day and assured of providing a job to her daughter Tanushree.
"We will also take care of her son`s studies," Pachnanda said after meeting Minati who broke down.
Minati said she expected Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is in charge of the Home (police department), "to see how the family was facing a crisis with the death of the only earning member".
"Responsibility to maintain security has been given to those who have no security for themselves," she said.
Chowdhury`s daughter Tanushree demanded exemplary punishment to the killers of her father.
Congress leader and union minister Deepa Dasmunshi alleged the Trinamool government was "passive" in dealing with criminals in the state leading to an alarming law and order situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon