Kolkata college violence: Police remand for 12 accused
Kolkata: The two main accused of Garden Reach violence were on Wednesday remanded in police custody till February 26.
The other 10 accused of yesterday`s campus violence that claimed life of a police officer and wounded one critically were also remanded in police custody till February 19.
Sk Suhan and Ibon, the two main accused, were arrested yesterday along with 10 others after sub-inspector Tapas Chowdhury was shot dead during a clash between Congress and Trinamool Congress student unions at Hari Mohan Ghosh college during filing of nominations for a college election.
Police Commissioner RK Pachnanda handed over a cheque for Rs 2 lakh to the SI`s widow Minati at her Thakurpukur residence during the day and assured of providing a job to her daughter Tanushree.
"We will also take care of her son`s studies," Pachnanda said after meeting Minati who broke down.
Minati said she expected Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is in charge of the Home (police department), "to see how the family was facing a crisis with the death of the only earning member".
"Responsibility to maintain security has been given to those who have no security for themselves," she said.
Chowdhury`s daughter Tanushree demanded exemplary punishment to the killers of her father.
Congress leader and union minister Deepa Dasmunshi alleged the Trinamool government was "passive" in dealing with criminals in the state leading to an alarming law and order situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir