Kolkata hospital fire: Six arrested for negligence
Kolkata: Six persons, including industrialist
SK Todi of the AMRI group were arrested and the licence of
the hospital where patients suffocated to death after a fire
on Friday, was cancelled.
"As per my announcement that offenders will be arrested,
six persons, including SK Todi, have been arrested," Chief
Minister Mamata Banerjee told reporters.
"Law will take its own course. Those responsible for so
many deaths will be dealt with seriously," she said.
Banerjee said the fire services authorities and the
police had cautioned the AMRI Hospital authorities in
September about its basement.
"AMRI had given an undertaking, but did not keep it," she
The CM said a National Disaster Rescue Force
team checked the hospital basement for radiation leak and
forensic experts would also inquire into it.
She said the hospital has been closed and would be sealed
by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation after completion of
The previous Left Front government had given up its 93
per cent share of the total land for setting up the hospital,
She said a high-level committee, with representatives
from police, fire brigade, Kolkata Municipal Corporation and
health department, has been formed to go into the cause of the
Kolkata Police Commissioner RK Pachnanda said Joint
Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen would supervise
the functioning of the committee.
Besides Todi, others arrested were RS Goenka, Ravi
Goenka, Manish Goenka, Prasanta Goenka and Dayananda Agarwal.
The six have been charged with negligence, culpable
homicide not amounting to murder and attempt to culpable
homicide," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands