Kolkata limps back to normal after heavy rains
Kolkata: Rain-soaked Kolkata limped back to normal on Saturday morning after a deep depression, which caused havoc in the city and its neighbourhoods, drifted away to lay centered 50 kms east of Bankura.
Heavy to very heavy rains have been forecast in the city and the entire Gangetic belt for the next 24 hours, the weatherman said.
According to the Regional Meteorological Centre, the city registered a record 171.4 mm rainfall till 5.30 am since Thursday night.
Fishermen were advised not to venture into the sea, which could remain rough while the coastal belt is likely to be swept by 40-50 km per hour of gusty winds.
Three persons were electrocuted in the city and the adjoining South 24 Parganas district on Friday while 33 fishing trawlers with 551 fishermen went missing in the Bay of Bengal ever since heavy rains lashed West Bengal on Friday, officials sources said.
With rescue efforts from a Coastguard ship and a Dornier aircraft some of the trawlers have now been detected and the fishermen have also returned safely, they said.
Officials said the fishermen are believed to have taken shelter in different creeks in the Sunderbans core area for fear of being drifted away into the high sea.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has postponed her visit to New Delhi on Saturday where she was supposed to meet Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
Depending on the situation in the state, she is likely to go on Monday.
She has asked the state disaster management cell to keep vigil on the situation and reach succour to the victims.
A control room has been set up at the state secretariat to monitor the situation, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India