Kolkata Metro fares to be hiked?
Kolkata: The Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury on Wednesday hinted at fare hike of Kolkata Metro Railway to offset the "huge losses" in revenue.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Board was considering increase in the metro fares with a view to meet the cost of additional rakes that have been put into service.
"The Railway Board is having a talk on a hike in the Kolkata Metro Railway fare. I am also of the view that a hike is necessary for the increased number of rakes and other facilities. The Kolkata Metro is suffering huge losses," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The fares of the country`s first underground railway service have not been increased in the past 15 years, Chowdhury pointed out.
He said that a decision would be taken in this regard by the Railway Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years