Kolkata Metro fares to be hiked?
Kolkata: The Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury on Wednesday hinted at fare hike of Kolkata Metro Railway to offset the "huge losses" in revenue.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Board was considering increase in the metro fares with a view to meet the cost of additional rakes that have been put into service.
"The Railway Board is having a talk on a hike in the Kolkata Metro Railway fare. I am also of the view that a hike is necessary for the increased number of rakes and other facilities. The Kolkata Metro is suffering huge losses," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The fares of the country`s first underground railway service have not been increased in the past 15 years, Chowdhury pointed out.
He said that a decision would be taken in this regard by the Railway Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened