Kolkata Metro fares to be hiked?
Kolkata: The Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury on Wednesday hinted at fare hike of Kolkata Metro Railway to offset the "huge losses" in revenue.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Board was considering increase in the metro fares with a view to meet the cost of additional rakes that have been put into service.
"The Railway Board is having a talk on a hike in the Kolkata Metro Railway fare. I am also of the view that a hike is necessary for the increased number of rakes and other facilities. The Kolkata Metro is suffering huge losses," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The fares of the country`s first underground railway service have not been increased in the past 15 years, Chowdhury pointed out.
He said that a decision would be taken in this regard by the Railway Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees