Kolkata Metro fares to go up from Nov 7
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metro railway fares will go up between 25 percent and over 100 percent for various distances from November 07, the railway board announced on Wednesday.
The total railway route has been divided into six zones, based on distance, in computing the raised fares. So long, there were five zones.
The fresh zone was for distances between 25 and 30 km. So long, any distance above 20 km was considered one single zone.
The minimum fare, valid up to five km, would be Rs 5. It will be 25 percent more than the existing fare of Rs 4 that commuters have to shell out now.
The maximum fare, valid for distances between 25 km and 30 km, would be Rs 25. So long, commuters had to pay a maximum fare of Rs 12 for travelling any distance over 20 km.
Between five to 10 km, the fares have been raised from Rs 6 to Rs 10.
Those travelling between 11 and 15 km would have to pay Rs 15 as against the Rs 8 they shell out now.
The fare would remain Rs 15 for those travelling between 15 and 20 km.
Between 21 and 25 km, the fare would be raised to Rs 20.
The Railway Board had on October 15 announced a sharp increase in fares, with the rates rising by up to two-and-a-half times on certain stretches. Hours after the announcement, however, Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury stalled the move, saying there was a need for review of the increased tariff.
Kolkata Metro, the country`s first metro rail system stretching across 25.135 km on the city`s busy north-south axis from Dumdum to Kavi Subhash, opened commercial services in 1984. It ferries around 6.5 lakh commuters on weekdays and nearly four lakh passengers on weekends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video