Kolkata Police use the Beatles to educate jaywalkers
Kolkata: Kolkata Traffic Police are using the Beatles` iconic "Abbey Road" album cover to educate jaywalkers to cross streets at zebra crossings.
The British band`s 1969 album cover features John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr crossing a north London street at a zebra crossing.
Hoardings across the city have been put up with the album cover bearing the caption "If they can, why can`t you?"
"The idea behind the campaign is to discourage jaywalking and inculcate the habit of using zebra crossings by pedestrians," an officer said.
Earlier, traffic police had put up hoardings inspired by the "Kolaveri Di" sung by south Indian film star Dhanush. The hoardings asked motorcyclists to wear helmets and ride safely.
Last year, the traffic department was quick to cash in on city franchise Kolkata Knight Riders` (KKR) maiden Indian Premier League (IPL) triumph with an advertisement campaign which connected William Blake`s famous poem "Tyger" with KKR`s IPL victory.
Around 150 giant billboards were put up featuring KKR owner Shah Rukh Khan and the team players with the IPL trophy in a car with a caption "Knight knight, burning bright, drive safe, day and night."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional