Kolkata ragging row: Student slapped 40 times
Kolkata: Despite sustained campaign by the media and the government, the menace of ragging does not seem to have lessened. In a fresh case of ragging, a first year student of the Marine Engineering and Research Institute of the Indian Maritime University was allegedly slapped 40 times and made to do more than 500 push-ups by his seniors here, according to report by a news channel.
The report further said the 19-year-old has been admitted to a nearby hospital and is reportedly in a very serious condition. He was allegedly tortured by his seniors between 4 am and 7 am on Wednesday morning.
“Due to the negligence of the university my son was not admitted in the hospital at the earliest,” victim’s father said.
According to reports a preliminary inquiry has been ordered and the statement of the student will be recorded once he recovers.
Soon after the incident was exposed, KK Mishra the Head of the faculty of Indian Maritime University said that the guilty will be punished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand