Kolkata ragging row: Student slapped 40 times
Kolkata: Despite sustained campaign by the media and the government, the menace of ragging does not seem to have lessened. In a fresh case of ragging, a first year student of the Marine Engineering and Research Institute of the Indian Maritime University was allegedly slapped 40 times and made to do more than 500 push-ups by his seniors here, according to report by a news channel.
The report further said the 19-year-old has been admitted to a nearby hospital and is reportedly in a very serious condition. He was allegedly tortured by his seniors between 4 am and 7 am on Wednesday morning.
“Due to the negligence of the university my son was not admitted in the hospital at the earliest,” victim’s father said.
According to reports a preliminary inquiry has been ordered and the statement of the student will be recorded once he recovers.
Soon after the incident was exposed, KK Mishra the Head of the faculty of Indian Maritime University said that the guilty will be punished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley