Kolkata ragging row: Student slapped 40 times
Kolkata: Despite sustained campaign by the media and the government, the menace of ragging does not seem to have lessened. In a fresh case of ragging, a first year student of the Marine Engineering and Research Institute of the Indian Maritime University was allegedly slapped 40 times and made to do more than 500 push-ups by his seniors here, according to report by a news channel.
The report further said the 19-year-old has been admitted to a nearby hospital and is reportedly in a very serious condition. He was allegedly tortured by his seniors between 4 am and 7 am on Wednesday morning.
“Due to the negligence of the university my son was not admitted in the hospital at the earliest,” victim’s father said.
According to reports a preliminary inquiry has been ordered and the statement of the student will be recorded once he recovers.
Soon after the incident was exposed, KK Mishra the Head of the faculty of Indian Maritime University said that the guilty will be punished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row