Kolkata rocked by successive tremors
Kolkata: Kolkata and parts of West Bengal was
on Wednesday rocked by successive mild tremors in a span of less than
two hours following the massive temblors in Sumatra.
The first tremor was felt at 2.42 pm and the second at
4.13 pm, Regional Meteorological Centre Director, G C Debnath
Tremors were also felt in North and South 24 Parganas
districts adjoining Kolkata and in Darjeeling and Siliguri in
north Bengal, official reports said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who returned
from Delhi, told reporters at the airport that district
administrations have been alerted and people should not panic.
A high alert was sounded along the coast with warnings
issued to fishermen and tourists.
Sea water might rise along the coast, Disaster Management
Secretary, Indewar Pandey said.
An alert has also been issued to district magistrates in
North and South 24 Parganas, East and West Midnapore and
Howrah districts, Irrigation Minister Manas Bhuina said.
The minister said that leave of all department
employees has been cancelled for the next seven days.
A control room has been set up at the Irrigation
Department headquarters at Salt Lake.
Metro services in the city were suspended for 48 minutes,
Deputy General Manager (General) of Metro Railway, Pratyush
Sinha said the temporary shut-down enabled railway
engineers to inspect the tunnels for any damage or subsidence
of the tracks and any damage to electrical installations.
According to reports, some buildings in the metropolis
developed minor cracks.
The tremor led people and employees in high rise buildings
to move out on the streets.
At Sector V in Salt Lake, some offices closed for the day.
Police said there no loss of life or injury in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery