Kolkata: Scientists write to PM for intervention
New Delhi: Perturbed over the arrest of an eminent scientist who opposed eviction of slum dwellers in Kolkata, a group of scientists has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh decrying West Bengal government`s action and sought his immediate intervention.
A number of scientists from across the country and some parts of the world have written to Singh voicing concern on the "crack down on human rights activists and citizens who are attempting to raise issues of concern".
They have signed a letter that has condemned the police action against Ambikesh Mahapatra, the Jadavpur chemistry professor, and Partho Sarothi Ray, a molecular biologist at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Mohanpur.
While Mahapatra was arrested for circulating a cartoon depicting West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Ray was among those taken into custody for protesting against the eviction of slum dwellers in Nonadanga area of East Kolkata.
"There also seems to be a clear message to others not to raise voices of dissent. This has implications for not only this series of events in Kolkata but also for democracy," said the letter signed by activists Aruna Roy, Nikhil Dey, Massachussetts Institute of Technology professors Noam Chomsky, Mrigangka Sur, Abha Sur, scientists of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, IITs among others.
Ray is an established researcher in the field of molecular biology whose findings have been published in world class journals, the letter said.
He is also a faculty of IISER Kolkata, one of the most select institutions of higher learning in India, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS